Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back to School with Mindy Miller



With all this talk of going back to school, I stopped to think about my school days and how I've never really captured any of those memories from my own perspective. Who was my favorite teacher? Who or what inspired me?

Looking back, I loved third grade and I wanted to capture a snapshot of my memories in a layout.



My inspiration for this design was a chalkboard. First I machine-stitched a grid of one inch squares on black cardstock to create my faux chalkboard. Then I added a collage of Jenni Bowlin products to embellish my "chalkboard".


I primarily used patterned papers from the Be Our Guest collection, plus Core Impressions Cardstock. In addition, I used a piece of Mini Classic Die Cut label paper and a red label sticker as journaling spots.


The whimsy silhouette stamp was the perfect replacement for an "i" in my title. I also used the ruler border stamp in the collage.

This layout prompted a fun walk down memory lane, but I also wish I would have captured more of these memories in my own handwriting at the time. With that in mind, consider using this concept to involve your kids in memory keeping right now and have them journal about the current school year.

Mindy
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Love the photo of you, and the chalkboard background! Lovely LO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw this over at SC - love, love it! very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you made the background look like a chalkboard and your title look like chalk writing. Your layout really captures the feel of those "vintage" elementary school days.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful page so inspiring! I love every single details, and the background seems a blackboard really!

    ReplyDelete